As online shopping continues to grow in popularity, more and more merchants are looking for ways to streamline their shipping process and offer their customers convenient options. One of the most popular options for both merchants and customers is in-store pickup.
In-store pickup allows customers to shop online and then pick up their purchases at a physical store location.
This option is particularly appealing to customers who want to avoid shipping costs or who want to receive their purchases as soon as possible. In fact, a recent study found that nearly 50% of consumers prefer in-store pickup for the convenience and speed it provides.
This article highlights the benefits of offering an in-store pickup delivery option and shares the means to add it to Magento-based sites.
Business Benefits of Offering In-Store Pickup
In-store pickup has become a popular option for both merchants and customers in recent years, and it’s easy to see why.
Here are just a few of the benefits of offering in-store pickup at your retail store:
- Convenience for customers: In-store pickup allows customers to shop online and pick up their purchases at a physical store location, eliminating the need for them to wait for their order to be shipped. This can be especially appealing for customers who want to receive their purchases as soon as possible.
- Increased foot traffic: Offering in-store pickup can help to drive foot traffic to your physical store locations, leading to increased sales and customer loyalty. In fact, a recent study found that 44% of consumers who used in-store pickup said they visited the store more often as a result.
- Reduced shipping costs: In-store pickup can help merchants to reduce their shipping costs, as they won’t need to pay for shipping the order to the customer’s home. This can be especially beneficial for merchants with multiple store locations, as they can fulfill orders from the store location nearest to the customer.
- Improved efficiency: In-store pickup can also help merchants to improve their overall efficiency, as it allows them to fulfill orders directly from their store inventory rather than having to ship orders from a central warehouse. This can help to reduce lead times and improve customer satisfaction.
So if you’re yet considering adding an in-store pickup to your retail business, here’s how you can achieve it through Magento 2. To find a Magento eCommerce store that reflects your brand identity and drives financial results, visit magento 2 development company.
How to Add Magento 2 In-Store Pickup?
In Magento 2, in-store pickup is not a default shipping option.
Conversely, if we take Adobe Commerce, it does not offer in-store pickup itself. However, it does offer the “Click and Collect” feature that allows customers to place an order online and choose to pick it up at a physical store location.
To add store pickup as a shipping option in Magento 2, merchants can follow these quick steps:
- Log in to the Magento 2 admin panel.
- Go to Stores > Settings > Configuration.
- In the left-hand menu, expand the Sales menu and click on Shipping Methods.
- In the Store Pickup section, set Enabled to “Yes.”
- Enter the Title and Method Name that you want to use for the store pickup option.
- Set the Sort Order to specify the position of the store pickup option in the list of available shipping methods.
- Click on Save Config to apply the changes.
No matter whether your business uses Magento Open Source or Adobe Commerce, it may require more flexibility in setting the in-store pickup option. It can be added to your Magento 2 store using a third-party extension.
There are several extensions available that allow you to add an in-store pickup option to your Magento 2 store, including the Mageworx Store Locator and Pickup extension. This extension allows merchants to create a customizable pickup form and map out their store locations, making it easy for customers to find the nearest pickup destinations and schedule a pickup time.
So, to add the Magento 2 Store Pickup shipping method to your store, you’ll need to follow these quick steps:
- Install the Mageworx In-Store Pickup extension on your Magento 2 store.
- Set up your store locations in the extension’s settings. This will involve adding the address, phone number, and other details for each store location.
- Enable the extension and configure the settings to your liking. This will include setting the pickup form fields that you want to display to customers, as well as any additional options, such as pickup time slots.
- Add the in-store pickup option to your checkout process. This typically involves adding a new shipping method in your Magento 2 settings and specifying that it should use the Mageworx In-Store Pickup extension.
- Test the in-store pickup process to ensure it is working properly. This will involve placing a test order and selecting the in-store pickup option at checkout.
That’s basically it.
Once you have completed these steps, your customers will be able to select the in-store pickup option during the checkout process and choose which store location they would like to pick up their order from.
Overall, in-store pickup is a win-win for both merchants and customers as it provides customers with a convenient and fast shipping option, while also driving sales and improving efficiency for merchants.
Default Magento 2 comes with the most basic in-store pickup functinaility. If your business lacks flexibility and the tool belt, opting for a third-party extension is an option.
There are a host extensions that are easy to use, highly customizable, and can help to drive sales and improve customer satisfaction. If you’re interested in adding in-store pickup to your Magento 2 store, the Mageworx In-Store Pickup extension is definitely worth considering.